Fix the Google Sitemap Generator Plugin for WordPress

March 7th, 2007 at 12:23 pm by Mark
Tags: , , , , , , ,

     Arne Brachnold’s Google Sitemap Generator for WordPress is a pretty neat piece of software that’ll build a Google-style XML-Sitemap, and ping Google with it every time you update your blog.
     Good stuff for SEO, good stuff for making sure Google has your site indexed. 

     After setting up a few blogs with the latest, I found a caveat that just annoyed me to death: you’re in the Admin, but when you manually update the sitemap, it comes back with a blank page. Sure, I know how to work around it, but they guys I’m setting this stuff up for get all huffy about it.
     Pretty quick bug to figure out.  There’s even a nice ticket on Trac (Ticket 604) that I’m unable to post this solution to…
     Line 2463 of sitemap.php is:

<script type=”text/javascript” src=”list-manipulation.js” mce_src=”list-manipulation.js”></script>

     Of course, that doesn’t exist, but if we change it to:

<script type=”text/javascript” src=”../wp-includes/js/list-manipulation-js.php” mce_src=”../wp-includes/js/list-manipulation-js.php”></script>

     …then all is right and good with the world.

     Hopefully, Arne’ll drop this in his next release — and be able to close Ticket 604 on Trac.  😉

[Ed. Note: The text of this article refers to “the latest” WordPress (2.1.x) and version of the plugin for it (3.0xxx).]


3 Responses to “Fix the Google Sitemap Generator Plugin for WordPress”

  1. Daniel Says:

    Thanks for the hint, but this bugfix dont work for me. 🙁
    After editing the sitemap.php -> manually creation of the sitemap.xml still leads me to a blank page.
    btw i dont have a file called list-manipulation-js.php in /wp-includes/js/. (there is only a file called list-manipulation.js in /wp-admin/)
    My wordpress version is 2.0.9…
    Tried many things but cant get this to work.

  2. Mark Says:

    Well, I mentioned “the latest” and maybe wasn’t clear enough. Of course the patch attempts to call files that actually exist in the filesystem, so that should’ve been a clue. 😉

    This will fix WordPress 2.1x and the 3.0bx version of the plugin. I’ve added a note to that fact above.

    After downloading 2.0.9 and testing, however, I can’t replicate your issue with either the 2.7 or 3.0 releases. I’d suggest you enable PHP error logging (say, to the httpd error_log) and tail it see what’s going on.

  3. Daniel Says:

    Thanks for your reply Mark.
    In the meantime I found a solution for this problem:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/103349
    Now it works for me. 😉