June 27th, 2013 at 5:59 pm by Mark
Tags: english, florida, high school, innuendo, school, typos
Of course, if this Yearbook had been from a Florida high school, the typo would have made perfectly good sense.
May 30th, 2013 at 5:46 pm by Mark
Tags: embarrassing, grammar, irony, spelling, typos
For three consecutive days, I’ve managed to make very short posts which were still full of typographical and grammatical errors. It’s embarrassing, to say the least, and reflects poorly especially when a significant portion of my own content is poking fun at that very thing. But I digress…
December 27th, 2006 at 12:59 pm by Mark
Tags: advertising, dyslexia, media, typos
Lately, every time I sit down to write, it takes far too long. And yet, for several days after I hit “Publish,” I still find a number of glaringly obvious mistakes. There’s rarely a mispelling, mind you, but often a missing word or prepositional phrase, sometimes with disastrous consequences for what might have been a perfectly good paragraph.
Everyone makes mistakes, however, I don’t want to use that as an excuse for producing a poor-quality article. So, seriously, how often do we make these sorts of mistakes when writing with pen and paper? Certainly, the predominance of the computer has made this a much more difficult excercise.
I was reminded of an e-mail Swanky sent me a few years ago, full of mistakes from newspaper ads:
- 2 female Boston Terrier puppies, 7 wks old, Perfect markings, 555-1234. Leave mess.
- Lost: small apricot poodle. Reward. Neutered. Like one of the family.
- A superb and inexpensive restaurant. Fine food expertly served by waitresses in appetizing forms.
- Dinner Special — Turkey $2.35; Chicken or Beef $2.25; Children $2.00.
- For sale: an antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and large drawers.
- Four-poster bed, 101 years old. Perfect for antique lover.
- Now is your chance to have your ears pierced and get an extra pair to take home, too.
- Wanted: 50 girls for stripping machine operators in factory.
- Wanted: Unmarried girls to pick fresh fruit and produce at night.
- We do not tear your clothing with machinery. We do it carefully by hand.
- For Sale. Three canaries of undermined sex.
- For Sale — Eight puppies from a German Shepperd and an Alaskan Hussy.
- Great Dames for sale.
- Have several very old dresses from grandmother in beautiful condition.
- Tired of cleaning yourself? Let me do it.
- Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children.
- Vacation Special: have your home exterminated.
- If you think you’ve seen everything in Paris, visit the Pere Lachasis Cemetery. It boasts such immortals as Moliere, Jean de la Fontain, and Chopin.
- Mt. Kilimanjaro, the breathtaking backdrop for the Serena Lodge. Swim in the lovely pool while you drink it all in.
- The hotel has bowling alleys, tennis courts, comfortable beds, and other athletic facilities.
- Get rid of aunts: Zap does the job in 24 hours.
- Toaster: A gift that every member of the family appreciates. Automatically burns toast.
- Sheer stockings. Designed for fancy dress, but so serviceable that lots of women wear nothing else.
- Stock up and save. Limit: one.
- We build bodies that last a lifetime.
- For Rent: 6-room hated apartment.
- Man, honest. Will take anything.
- Wanted: chambermaid in rectory. Love in, $200 a month. References required.
- Man wanted to work in dynamite factory. Must be willing to travel.
- UsedCars: Why go elsewhere to be cheated? Come here first!
- Christmans tag-sale. Handmade gifts for the hard-to-find person.
- Wanted: Hair-cutter. Excellent growth potential.
- Wanted. Man to take care of cow that does not smoke or drink.
- 3-year-old teacher need for pre-school. Experience preferred.
- Our experienced Mom will care of your child. Fenced yard, meals, and smacks included.
- Our bikinis are exciting. They are simply the tops.
- Auto Repair Service. Free pick-up and delivery. Try us once, you’ll never go anywhere again.
- Illiterate? Write today for free help.
- Girl wanted to assist magician in cutting-off-head illusion. Blue Cross and salary.
- Wanted. Widower with school-age children requires person to assume general housekeeping duties. Must be capable of contributing to growth of family.
- Mixing bowl set designed to please a cook with round bottom for efficient beating.
- Semi-Annual after-Christmas Sale.
- And now, the Superstore–unequaled in size, unmatched in variety, unrivaled inconvenience.
- We will oil your sewing machine and adjust tension in your home for $1.00.
At least I’m in good company. 😉